Sunday, November 2, 2014

You and I Will Meet Again- A playlist for the Day of the Dead

Today is All Souls Day, or Dia de los Muerte, Day of the Dead. In Mexican culture it is customary to visit the cemeteries and feast and visit with ones loved ones. It is an occasion both sad and joyous, mourning those who are gone, and yet recalling their presences and what they meant to them.

In our own family we began the practice a long time ago of honoring them  at Halloween, when we have a dinner party with many of our friends.  We light candles to remember loved ones who have gone, and we set a place at the table for them as well. When friends or family have gone, there are certain songs I like to listen to.  In honor of my loved ones and yours,  here is a playlist for the Day of the Dead


Annie Lennox:: Into the West


Don't say:
"We have come now to the end"
White shores are calling
You and I will meet again

Dionne and Friends: That's What Friends are For

And if I should ever go away
Well, then close your eyes and try
To feel the way we do today
And then if you can remember


Fraggle Rock: Just a Dream Away

Its just a dream away
You have to leave to stay
We'll meet again someday
Just a dream away

Harry Belafonte and the Muppets: Turn the World Around
 

We come from the fire
Living in the fire
Go back to the fire
Turn the world around.

Loreena McKennitt: The Parting Glass

Oh all the comrades the e'er I had
They're sorry for my going away
And all the sweethearts that e're I had
They'd wish me one more day to stay
But since it falls unto my lot
That I should rise and you should not.
I'll gently rise and softly call
"Good Night and Joy be with you all"


2 comments: