Thursday, February 6, 2014

Days the Music Died

Every February 3 is (unofficially) National "The Day the Music Died".  Commemorating the deaths 55 years ago of Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and the Big Bopper. 

The great website Poets on the Page suggested writing about this or one of the other unofficial holidays of February 3rd. Here is what I wrote:


 
National day the music died

That was the day the music died
55 years ago this day
In a field in Iowa.
I was not born yet but

I'm sure many believed
The music was over and done
But it wasn't.

I myself have known
Many days the music died
In a field in Louisiana
In 1973,
A hot august night in 77,
That dreadful December of 1980
And many more as well.

Last week
The music "died" again
A voice was stilled
But not its  song
The music never dies.

This poem is part of the Poets on the Page link up.
Please click on the link and check it out.

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully rendered. You are so write on/right on about the voice stilled but the music never dying. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Julie. That is a huge compliment coming from you. I really appreciate it.

      Delete