Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Twisted Mix Tape--Lying Eyes at Sundown

This week the Mix Tape theme is "Cheating Songs". It is certainly a subject that allows a wide range of selection and interpretation.  There is out and out cheating, there is wishful unfulfilled cheating, and there are even a few cheating songs with happy endings.


Sundown--Gordon Lightfoot
As soon as I saw this topic, I knew this song would be on my list.  I think the opening lines are among the most perfect ever written: I can see her lying back in her satin dress In a room where you do what you don't confess. In two lines you know everything you need to know about the situation.

Lying Eyes--The Eagles
One of the most well worn albums of my youth was The Eagles Greatest Hits. This is another well written song, but more from the point of view of the cheater than the cheated upon.


House of the Rising Sun--The Animals
 
 
My husband suggested this one when he heard the topic. It is actually about a house of ill repute, but going to that sort of place usually involves cheating of one kind or another.  Just about everyone has recorded a version of this song, but this one is the best, I think.

Norweigan Wood--The Beatles
 
Not perhaps the song that springs immediately to mind when one talks about cheating songs, but John Lennon readily admitted this was about a fling he had while married to Cynthia, so it qualifies.

I Want To Learn a Love Song--Harry Chapin
 
 
Remember what I said about cheating songs with happy endings? This song is Harry Chapin's more or less autobiographical account of how he met his wife Sandy, while she was still married to another man, after he was hired to give her guitar lessons. So that's my list.  What songs would you chose for a mix list of cheating songs? To see how some other bloggers twisted their mix tapes click here.
My Skewed View

14 comments:

  1. I've always loved that Animals' song, as well as the Beatles' song you chose. I don't think I've heard that Harry Chapin song though, gone one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It seems like just about everyone has written a song that has the author either cheating or cheated upon, it was fun making the list and getting a little off the beaten path.

      Delete
  2. Lying Eyes is the first on my mind when it comes to cheating! Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was second my list, right after Sundown. Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. I love this list! All my favorites. I just played Norwegian Wood on my guitar last night. Serendipity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda. Norweigan Wood is one of my favorites too. I've been wanting to work it into a list for a while.

      Delete
  4. I haven't heard that Harry Chapin song either and love knowing the history behind it. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I collect trivia like some people collect coins, Kristi. Glad you enjoyed the story, and the list.

      Delete
  5. Did not know the back story for Norwegian Wood. Interesting! Sundown! My Dad loved some Gordon Lightfoot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are actually a lot of Gordon Lightfoot songs I like more than Sundown, but I don't see how to do a cheating list without it.

      Delete
  6. (I'm with Melissa on not knowing the backstory on 'Norwegian Wood'), funny how I'm not only hearing new music (from the various Posts) but getting a new insight on songs that I have heard for a lifetime!
    great list of songs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel exactly the same way about the hop, I am learning so much about music and listening to music I never heard before.

      Delete
  7. YEA! I was wondering who would use Sundown! I didn't think I should since I wrote a whole post using that song as a title on ROTR, but I really wanted to, and you did! Also so many faves of mine! Lying Eyes, that one always gets turned up and sung out loud, real loud!
    Great list!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jen. The lyric To that song is perfect, as I said. Girdon Lightfoot has always been one of my favorites, like so many of those other great performers of the 70's.

      Delete