Thursday, February 21, 2013

Feeling the "Like"


Last week for theme Thursday we talked about Pet Peeves, and I think some bloggers, including myself, felt downright peevish by the time we were done.  This week we are thinking happy thoughts about things we like, and I hope it will improve the mood around the blog, Here are some things that I really like:















I like baseball. I have followed it since childhood, and have followed my son's baseball through his childhood. Baseball is the only sport that I can watch without having a sporting interest in any of the players.  It is also one of the two branched continuum (along with scouting) that connects my children to the grandfather they never knew.




I like genealogy and scrap booking. Its always exciting to find something new about our family, and its even more exciting to put it into a format others can look at.  Several times now the kids have had to do genealogy projects for school, and they have been grateful for mom's groundwork.


I also like my kids.

 
I don't just mean in the every mom loves her kids sense. I mean I enjoy their company. I enjoy planning things to to with them.  I am interested in their interests and hope they are interested in mine.  They are turning out to be very interesting people and its a privilege to know them.
 
 
I also like to read And I like to underline and write notes in the margins (but only when the book belongs to me!) I see reading as a two way dialogue. Both reader and writer are active participants. One of the coolest things about blogging is getting that conversation going in real time.
 
 
I like blimps.  Living in Akron I have been watching them my whole life. There are simply cool. I would love to get to ride on one someday.
 
I  also like photography, movies, The Beatles, turtles, Nero Wolfe, Sherlock Holmes, and Ellery Queen, Shakespeare, theatre, history, coffee, my husband's cooking, my husband's music, my friends, and the way I feel when I think about all these things I like.
 
 
 
 
This post is part of Theme Thursday.  to see what other bloggers like, please click on the link

12 comments:

  1. It's important to remember the things we like. I've noticed that my number of daily smiles have been decreasing lately. I'll try to keep this in mind :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does help...when I have a hard day at work I look at pictures of my kids on my phone, just to remind me why I get up and go to work in the morning in the first place.

      Delete
  2. I've never seen a blimp! Are they big in Akron? Also, I'm sure you were referring to the books, but have you seen the show "Sherlock," with Jonny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu? I highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blimps are amazing! Akron is the corporate home of Goodyear Tire, and both blimps and dirigibles were built here. There are 3 Blimps based in differant parts of the country, plus one in Europe that are used at sporting events and the like, and one of them is right here most of the time. Most sunny days you can see one flying around the area, just like this picture when I saw it over the county courthouse one day.

      As for Sherlock, I was referring to the books, but I like movies with him too. I have not seen the new series, but I hear it is great and would like to give it a try some time.

      Delete
    2. I miss seeing the Goodyear blimp on a regular basis. We see blimps here in Jersey occasionally, but back in Ohio, I remember many times running out the back door when we heard that familiar sound of the blimp hovering overhead. I have always been OBSESSED with blimps and dirigibles. No phallic jokes! ;)

      Delete
    3. Exactly Linda. My dad used to tell me stories about the 30's and 40's when they built dirigibles out in the old airdock, and later build blimps for the Navy during WWII.
      They are really awesome to see at night, even if it does look from a distance like the aliens are arriving!

      Delete
  3. Wow! Great list! I love genealogy too. Those photos are adorable! I'm the archiver of the family. I got all of my grampa's letters he wrote to my gramma while he was away in WWII. Anyway, I LOVE that you have that opinion about reading. It IS interactive. People totally freak when they see the way I read...with pen and highlighter! Nice to meet you and looking forward to more! xoxoxo Lucy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joseph Campbell once said "I meditate by underlining sentances." and I have taken that as my mantra.I am becoming the family archivist too. My mom keeps saying, I'm giving all this to you cause no one else will appreciate it. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. "I like the way I feel when I think about all these things I like." - so true, Meg, and this theme was a great pick me upper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dana. It really did perk things around the blog thinking happy thoughts for a while.

      Delete
  5. I bet you are the only one who listed blimps in their post! :-D They are cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be I am too, but we take our blimps seriously in Northeast Ohio! I think theres a future post here.

      Delete