Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Thank You Mr. Adams



One of my favorite musicals is 1776. My favorite song "Is Anybody There?" allows John Adams to give his vision of independence and its celebration:


 I see fireworks
I see pageant and pomp and parades
I hear bells ringing out
I hear the cannons roar
I see Americans, all Americans, free forever more.

 Based in part on his letters, 1776  pays tribute to a man who had a vision of our country and agitated till he achieved it.

 Adams is often lost in the Founding Father shuffle behind Washington, Jefferson and Franklin, yet he gave as much as anyone. Writer, lawyer, diplomat, Vice-President and President he had the impossible task of following George Washington. He always spoke and did what he thought was right regardless of consequence whether defending British Soldiers after the Boston Massacre or defying congressional warmongers and making peace with France. And by peacefully turning his office over to his rival Jefferson he ensured the constitution would work

.So thank you Mr. Adams and enjoy your fireworks.







No comments:

Post a Comment