Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Express Yourself--Favorite Book Quotes






When I saw that this week's Express Yourself Meme was favorite book quotes, I was totally up for it.  Not only do I have books all over the house I also have books full of quotes from books I like.
 
Here are a few favorites. I have focused on works of fiction, using some of the shorter quotes, and trying to avoid the ones everybody knows:
 



O, there is lovely to feel a book, a good book, firm in the hand, for its fatness holds rich promise, and you are hot inside to think of good hours to come."
Richard Llewellyn
How Green Was My Valley

And now Scrooge looked on more attentively than ever, when the master of the house, having his daughter leaning fondly on him, sat down with her and her mother at his own fireside; and when he thought that
such another creature, quite as graceful and as full of promise, might have called him father, and been a spring-time in the haggard winter of his life, his sight grew very dim indeed.
Charles Dickens
A Christmas Carol

You think the dead we love ever truly leave us?  You think that we don't recall them more clearly than ever in times of great trouble?
J K Rowling
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Love each other well and always. There is nothing else but that in the world: love for each other
Victor Hugo
Les Miserables
 
Until I feared that I would lose it, I never loved reading,
One does not love breathing.
Harper Lee
To Kill a Mockingbird
 
And Frith called after him: "El-hrairah, your people cannot rule the world, for I will not have it so.  All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and whenever they catch you they will kill you. But first they must catch you, Digger, Runner, Prince with the swift warning.  Be cunning and full of tricks, and your people shall never be destroyed."
And El-hrairah knew that though he would not be mocked, yet Frith was his friend.  And every evening when Frith has done his days work and lies calm and easy in the red sky, El-hrairah and his children and his children's children come out of their holes and play in his sight, for they are his friends and he has promised them that they can never be destroyed.
Richard Adams
Watership Down


I will say this: the rule of no realm is mine, neither of Gondor, nor any other great or small.  But all worthy things that are in peril as the world now stands, those are in my care.  And for my part I shall not wholly fail of my task, though Gondor should perish, if anything passes through this night that can still grow fair or bear fruit and flower again in days to come. For I also am a steward. Did you not know?
J R R Tolkien
The Return of the King
 
The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other's life. Rarely do members of one family grow up under the same roof.
Richard Bach
Illusions:the Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah

"I used to think I couldn't let
you go, but I'm learning to feel that I don't lose you, that you'll be
more to me than ever, and death can't part us, though it seems to."
"I know it cannot, and I don't fear it any longer, for I'm sure I shall
be your Beth still, to love and help you more than ever. You must take
my place, Jo, and be everything to Father and Mother when I'm gone.
They will turn to you, don't fail them, and if it's hard to work alone,
remember that I don't forget you, and that you'll be happier in doing
that than writing splendid books or seeing all the world, for love is
the only thing that we can carry with us when we go, and it makes the end so easy."
Louisa May Alcott
Little Women 



In one of the stars, I shall be living. In one of them, I shall be laughing.
And so it will be as if all the stars were laughing when you look at the sky at night.

  Antoine de Saint-Exupery
The Little Prince



I could go on forever, but this seems like a good place to stop by now.  Do you have some favorite quotes from books?

This Post is part of  Express Yourself Meme. To see what other bloggers are saying on this same topic please click on the link.

9 comments:

  1. The Harry Potter quote you chose is one of my favorites from the series :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Without giving anything away, it does really set up large chunks of the last book. My other favorite is "Grief it seemed drove Voldemort out, but Dumbledore, of course, would have said it was love."

      Delete
  2. Nice quotes.

    This is in response to your comment on my post. You don't need to keep signing up for the Express Yourself Meme. A one time sign up is all that's needed. You've already signed up a while back...you are #5 on the list. Thanks for joining. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ok, thank you, didnt quite understand how yours worked. Most of them have you come back and link up every week.

      Delete
    2. We used to do it that way, but then it became tedious for most involved, and after asking and receiving opinions, Dani and I decided a one time sign up would be best.
      Thanks for sticking with us! :D

      Delete
  3. A great list of quotes, some classic ones in there too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, glad you enjoyed them. I could easily write a book of quotes from books, so I had to restrain myself

      Delete
  4. Hi, I'm your latest follower!! I enjoy your writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming along for the ride, Jackie/Jake Nothing makes me feel better than you hear people say they enjoy what I've written

      Delete